Home > Blog > Sweet Rice Porridge
Sweet Rice Porridge
Turn that leftover rice into a tasty pre-ride breakfast.
This Sweet Rice Porridge is a clever recipe from The Feed Zone Cookbook written by Skratch Labs founder Allen Lim and Chef Biju Thomas that blends quick-absorbing carbs from white rice with the satisfying whole proteins found in eggs. Add bananas for some bonus carbohydrates and potassium — or whatever fruit or nut you'd prefer. This is a perfect opportunity to get creative! Have fun with the flavors and you'll enjoy a tasty, simple breakfast that will power-up your morning workout. The recipe below makes two ample servings and is also perfect way to put leftover rice to good use!
Sweet Rice Porridge: A Delicious Feed Zone Breakfast
Republished with permission and photo credit courtesy of VeloPress from Feed Zone Cookbook.
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 ripe banana, sliced
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- dash each of salt and ground cinnamon
- fresh berries (optional)
- Whisk together milk and egg yolk in a medium pot, then heat gently.
- Add the cooked rice, banana, vanilla, brown sugar, salt and cinnamon.
- Cook and stir for 5-10 minutes or until mixture comes to a gentle boil.
- Transfer to a bowl or plate and top with fresh berries/fruit, if desired.